Fort Wooster Park
Memorial to the Quinnipiac Indian Tribe on Townsend Avenue, New Haven
Located near Fort Nathan Hale on New Haven's Eastern Shore, Fort Wooster and its Memorial Park commands the heights of Beacon Hill where signal fires were once lit to warn inhabitants of impending dangers. The park features walking trails leading up to earthen works fortifications at the top of the hill.
As significant is the history of the Quinnipiac Indian Tribe and sacred burial grounds associated with the park as highlighted by the engraving on the park's marble monument
Leading up to the dedication of the Monument to the Quinnipiac Indian Tribe in 2000, Fort Nathan Hale Restoration Projects, Inc. board member Doris "Deb" Townshend and a group of concerned citizens led efforts to place memorials to New Haven's past.
The following links will provide more information about Fort Wooster Park, the Quinnipiac Indian Tribe and the history of the times:
Fort Wooster and Friends of Fort Wooster
The Quinnipiacs of New Haven Harbor
The Society of Colonial Wars in Connecticut
Qunnipiac University Stories of Old New Haven
Scenes from Fort Wooster Park
Inscription: A Quinnipiac Indian family walks to the harbor to meet the English newcomers -
April 24, 1638 as their way of life changes forever.
Inscription: In Memory of Captian Charles H. Townshend, John Menta, and Lyant W. Russell, Chroniclers of the Quinnipiac Tribe
Scenes from the Grounds