Painting of Black Rock Fort as it appeared when in use

Black Rock Fort by Falcone

BLACK ROCK FORT

was constructed in the spring of 1776, by order of the Connecticut Colony, on a prominent basalt ledge jutting the harbor on the east side and in range of the ship channel, thus protecting the approach to the Port of New Haven.

On July 5, 1779, superior British forces landed from war ships, attacked the fort and captured its 19 defenders. The enemy was then able to march into New Haven.

At the close of the Revolution, Black Rock Fort was abandoned.

  • Visit Our Other Sites


  • Calendar of Events

     September 2014
    SMTWTFS
    31123456
    78910111213
    14151617181920
    21222324252627
    2829301234